Friday, February 03, 2012

Psalm 4 Translation

Psalm 1
Psalm 2
Psalm 3
Now Psalm 4
_____
[To the musician leading (those playing) the Neginoth, a psalm (attributed) to David]
1 When I call, answer me, O God of my righteousness.
     In [my] distress, you made space for me.
Have mercy on me.
     Hear my prayer.
2 Sons of man, why [do you turn] my glory to shame?
Why do you love emptiness?
     Why do you seek falsehood?
Music.
3 And know that YHWH has set apart the faithful person for himself.
     YHWH will hear when I call on him.
4 Tremble [you all] and do not sin.
     Speak [you all] with your [pl] heart upon your [pl] bed.
     And be silent.
Music
5 Sacrifice (pl) sacrifices of righteousness
     and trust in YHWH.
6 Many are saying, "Who will show us good?"
     Lift up the light of your face, YHWH.
7 You gave more gladness in my heart
     than their corn and their wine increased.
8 In peace both will I lie down and sleep,
     for you, YHWH, alone will cause me to dwell in safety.
_________
One very interesting thing about the Hebrew here is verse 4.  The Hebrew says to "tremble" and not to sin before the LORD.  However, the Greek translation of the psalm, informally called the Septuagint, reads "be angry and do not sin," which is of course the version that Ephesians 4:26 quotes.

3 comments:

Bob MacDonald said...

'their' is in the final mem in 7b

Ken Schenck said...

Fixed! Thanks!

Bob MacDonald said...

Your discipline is commendable. There's more in that verse still - mem-ayin-taf = mem (from) ayin-taf (the time or season = ayin-dalet)