Friday, January 14, 2011

Should I become an Independent?

I didn't pay much attention to the quote until Reince Priebus was elected Chairman of the Republican Party today.  Maybe you've heard it: If you are "pro-stimulus, pro-GM bailout, pro-AIG, well, you know, guess what, you might not be a Republican."  Funny, I thought I was a Republican in the tradition of Teddy Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln, and that the party had swung way right in the last 10 years.

I guess I'm being shown the door, even though I probably voted about half and half last election. ;-)

5 comments:

FrGregACCA said...

Come on over to the left of the Dems! There's plenty of room!

JohnM said...

How does one become an independent? Oh, maybe by voting about half and half. :)

John C.Gardner said...

I consider myself a social conservative but( economically-edicationally I am a Lincoln Republican). I am also greatly concerned about the issue of race. Therefore I am either an independent or a Republican leaning independent.
In Christ,
John C. Gardner
Professor Emeritus

Ken Schenck said...

I don't see any way to get rid of it but I really think the whole two party system in America promotes bad thinking and a herd mentality. Rather than our representatives voting the issues and speaking their minds, they have to play into party dynamics.

FrGregACCA said...

Ken: it seems that our first-past-the-post voting system has a great deal to do with reinforcing the two-party system. Perhaps we should like at alternatives in how we choose our representatives (used in the broad sense of the word) at all levels.