Monday, December 20, 2010

The Insanity of Prophecy Chasers

A paragraph from chapter 8 of my second Paul book:

"It is hard to know what to take from the specifics of 2 Thessalonians 2. However, the history of the interpretation of passages like this one is clear enough. Those who have connected contemporary events with the details of passages like this one have not only been consistently wrong; they have been wrong every single time to date as far as we can tell. A case in point was a little booklet called Eighty-Eight Reasons Why the Lord Is Coming Back in 1988. What a sobering thought! If I engage in prophetic speculation, the odds are astronomically against me being correct on pretty much everything. I am far more likely to win the lottery every week for the rest of my life than to be correct on any one detail of prophetic interpretation."

2 comments:

James Gibson said...

Whenever someone asks me about the "man of lawlessness," I suggest they humbly meditate on that passage while looking in the mirror.

Angie Van De Merwe said...

Yes, James.