Saturday, November 06, 2010

Some ongoing CEB scuttlebutt...

Found this round-up of some web CEB reaction from a year ago on John Hobbins' blog: http://ancienthebrewpoetry.typepad.com/ancient_hebrew_poetry/2009/11/the-common-english-bible-a-roundup-of-posts-and-some-critical-notes.html.

It will be interesting to see where the CEB goes.  I noticed this morning that while it goes with the "faithfulness of Jesus Christ" in Romans 3:22 it sticks with the traditional "faith in Jesus" in Galatians 2:16.  Oops--must have been two different translation teams.

Other things I have mixed feelings about.  While it's hard to hear "Son of Man" rendered as "the Human One" or "abomination that causes desolation" as "disgusting and destructive thing," I have to admit it is only because I have a doctorate in New Testament and I have no question but that the CEB's version would be more understandable to just about anyone.

No comments: