Monday, March 24, 2008

Monday Thoughts: My Take Away from Noll’s Scandal

I’m done with Mark Noll’s The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind and have had some time for things to percolate in my mind. Here are some thoughts:

1. I am appreciative of many areas where Noll has filled in history to which I have not paid much attention in the past. I will leave a question mark over some of it—where is spin I’m not equipped to recognize? But I would rather have a starter knowledge to edit later than have no knowledge at all.

2. I agree that the history of American Protestant Christian conservatism has been fairly anti-intellectual, particularly since the Civil War. Maybe it has always been since our colonist days because of the frontier personality.

Pragmatists came here and survived here, the kind of people who weren’t prone to value long standing traditions, do it yourself people. The most urgent truths are what are valued—what works, what will make it possible for my family to survive the winter? Typical US beginnings were by rough and ready individualists who didn’t let others tell them what to do—and that includes the Pope or some European church. Give me a Bible and I’ll tell you what God thinks.

The internet age has made it more difficult to hide from what the experts in any discipline are saying. But it's also not clear to me that the rising generations believe in experts. The sense is that truth is whatever works for me, a postmodern cultural Zeitgeist (not to be confused with some legitimate challenges from postmodern philosophy). Ironically, postmodernism has in part become the most recent excuse for anti-intellectualism among some pockets of conservative American Protestant Christianity.

3. Noll seems to me very modernist himself in many respects. Those who invoke him certainly are. I listen to us talk, we Christian "intellectuals” in conservative settings. So often the discussion is along the lines of the “ignorant masses” to whom we can offer so much in the way of truth. The problem is of course that so many of the views I hear espoused under this heading seem quite provisional themselves, to where our ignorance is only one step removed from those whom we ourselves criticize. (Physician, heal thyself)

We Christian thinkers need to be more humble in our truth assertions--especially as individuals but even as conservative or moderate groupings of thinkers. It’s “I don’t see how it could be otherwise, but I could be wrong.” It’s not “you're anti-intellectual if you don’t see things how I see them.”

I predict we’ll get over our fascination with subjectivism soon enough as a culture—including as a Christian culture—and start a new, chastened quest for objectivity in thinking. The postmodern critique is significant and valid. But the quest for truth will go on and over time the hypotheses that best account for the data will eliminate "cop out scholarship," scholarship that is not really interested in what is true but in applying one's intellect to support extreme minority or narcissistic positions.

4. Perhaps the most sobering thought I’ve had reading Noll is that the holiness/revivalist tradition isn't even at the table. People like Marsden and Noll have no reason to make careful distinctions when it comes to the history of my tradition. You can hardly blame them on one level.

Where are the holiness revivalist thinkers today? Is this sentence an oxymoron, to where the only way we can be thinkers is to abandon the holiness/revivalist part? Certainly Noll and Marsden think so.

Where is the standard Wesleyan-Arminian systematic theology to read? Where is the conglomeration of broader Wesleyan scholars presenting our take on church history, theology, and hermeneutics?

There are some broader Methodist voices in which I can see what such a movement might look like. They seem to be at Duke--people like Maddox, Hays, and Jones come to mind. But they are not dialoging with the holiness revivalist tradition. It is a Methodist seminary, and who of us is reading them with a view to our identity?

Asbury has had some lone scholars over the years. Bob Lyon more than anyone else probably brought about the de-Actsification of the holiness movement. But most of Asbury's people don't publish in a way that might create a movement in holiness revivalist circles (although Ken Collins would be a potential). And they also are primarily focused on things Methodist.

As far as the Wesleyan Church is concerned, there are no Leo Coxes today, no Wilbur Daytons or Melvin Dieters. Where even would an organized consortium of broader Wesleyan thinkers rise up from? Who among us is even recognized by broader scholarship as a voice for Wesleyan-Arminian thought?

Who will reach out to organize and mobilize us? Nazarene Theological Seminary? Do we even want to be mobilized as thinkers? Azusa won't, couldn't, even with a motivated David Wright as Dean. It's faculty are what so many faculties are--a bunch of individual lone rangers with no common cause and barely still in the holiness tradition. Wesley Biblical has great scholars, but they are not thought trailblazers. They are outstanding rear guard scholars.

I want to thank Keith Drury for providing me with a path to conceptualize my gnawing complaint with the way Marsden and Noll divide up early twentieth century conservative Christian history. First, I find it telling that the founding voices of fundamentalism do not fit into any of Mark Noll’s fundy categories: holiness revivalists, Pentecostals, and dispensationalists. It surely reveals a “fundamental” flaw in his history telling that the real movers and shakers of early twentieth century fundamentalism—people like J. Gresham Machen—do not fit into any of his categories.

The term Drury coined in his most recent Tuesday Column is “anti-modern.” Yes, my forebears were anti-modernist. They intuitively retreated into emotional experiences and end time scenarios to cope with the rapid secularization of America after the Civil War. They retreated from science and politics into countless little fragmented separatist groups.

But to call these groups "fundamentalists" is, I think, to assume that the standard of identity in play here is ideological. I don't think the key to understanding my forebears is to see them as retreating to the fundamental beliefs of Christianity. They were retreating to what they saw as the fundamental experiences of Christianity.

I would expect historians with Reformed backgrounds to lump together people based on their orientation toward ideas. But call the intellectual anti-modernists "fundamentalists," people like Machen. Then let the next generation of revivalist thinkers--if we can find them--put a head on my experiential and behavior-oriented ancestors.

Is there any church historian of the Wesleyan tradition who is looking for a dissertation topic? So many current intellectual developments open doors for our tradition—the new perspective on Judaism and Paul, the impossibility of meaning in a text alone, the postmodern critique of absolute rational certainty.

Who will marshal us together and mobilize us? Or is the holiness revivalist tradition so anti-intellectual that it cannot survive thinking? I don't think so. We just need a revival :-)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if there is such a mobilizing occurring via the blogosphere.

Mike Cline said...

I would like to hope so. But I'm full of idealistic gas.

I've toyed with the idea of getting young Wesleyan-Holiness folks underneath a joint blog. It would be primarily academic, because I already read quite a few that are more practical. I know Mark Wilson manages a site that links to all the Wesleyan bloggers that regularly update. But what about an academic wesleyan group? I'm biased towards starting a "younger Wesleyan" space, somewhat like the "younger evangelicals" of Robert Webber's book.

Perhaps when more time comes my way, I can team up with some people with more contacts than I (like yourself) and make this happen?

Ken Schenck said...

Go for it Mike! Brian, maybe these are the rumblings of a new beginning. My blog isn't widely enough read to do it. I think you get really good emerging traffic on yours, right?

One strange difficulty is that some in Wesleyan circles seem to me ready to shoot a genuine revival (or initiation?) of Wesleyan thinking in the foot because of fundamentalist tendencies. Some of us had lunch with the president of NTS last week and they seem to get the Wesleyan-emerging similarities better than some influential Wesleyans do. Apart from what some of us would dream for a seminary at IWU (whose destiny seems yet to be determined), NTS seems the only place really motivated to initiate a pan-Wesleyan movement.

But ultimately I'm thinking bigger than blogs. I'm thinking of a set of publications with common themes that stake out a trajectory--an intellectual movement.

Kevin Wright said...

I like what you're saying Ken, but I can't help but think that if a holiness intellectual movement does come into existence, it will be shot in the back by the very people it is attempting to serve. Just consider the Wesleyan Church as a whole. How many of our congregations do you think even care about explorations in intellectual inquiries from a holiness-revivalist perspective? I hate to say it, but my experiences with Wesleyan Churches (from our smallest to some of our largest)lead me to believe that any attempt to form an intellectual movement would be largely ignored or shunned by most people in our pews. As you said, we are a people of experience, and that experience has become our guiding principle.

Ken Schenck said...

I understand what you're saying, Kevin. I think if it were a movement that was not limited to Wesleyans, it would help. I'm thinking of a movement that involved Free Methodists and Nazarenes too, maybe even some conservative UMers. Now the big question is what the common theme/s would be and that's where you need a prophet or a group of thinkers who coalesce around each other, headed the same way, perhaps responding to something like the call of Billy Abraham a few WTS's ago.

I am not suggesting what the core features of such a movement would be. I don't know. We're looking for a synergy that is not usually orchestrated but happens in the flow of things. But unless we're getting together and talking together, it would be very unlikely.

James Gibson said...

What about those of us who became so immersed in the whole body of Wesley's work that we returned to his Mother Church? Sometimes I wonder how such a polyglot, haphazard body like the Anglican Communion could have ever produced a John Wesley. His emphasis on holiness integrated many of the disparate traditions of the faith: Reformed, Catholic, Orthodox, etc. Anglicanism generally doesn't integrate very well and, consequently, it wasn't able to keep Wesley's followers within the fold.

In missional Anglican circles today, Wesley is respected as a missiologist, but not as a theologian. Holiness, as Wesley taught it, is something of a foreign concept.

Mike Cline said...

I'd love for a movement to happen that is larger than the blog world. I just don't have enough clout to even think that way. :)

As far as "emerging traffic" goes...I get some. I have a weird mix of readers. Holiness people, emerging folk, anabaptists, and pseudo-catholics all kinda collide. My network at Jesus Manifesto though is growing and could really be a fun place to infiltrate with holiness ideas. I'm a missionary over there. :)

Ken Schenck said...

James, when I have tried to think of a Wesleyanism that is inspired by Wesley but not bound by him, when I ask what the strengths of the Wesleyan tradition are in relation to other traditions, what comes to my mind is a kind of neo-catholicism that has an extremely robust sense of the Holy Spirit's work both yesterday and today in the world, the universal Church, the local church, and in the lives of individuals.

At the mention of "catholic," of course, a lot of people in my circles break out in a rash. But I'm not talking Roman Catholic. I'm talking more of things that are the consensus of the church universal with the faith that the Spirit is best found in things that most Christians in all times and places have believed, yet that He guides and empowers us as unique individuals as well. I'm talking a truly catholic catechism, not one of the Roman Catholic Church as the trunkline but one that presents the things all Christians believe in common, with a true balance in relation to experience and practice.

That would be my pick for a movement that might engulf not just our tradition but the whole church. But it is only that, the pick of one individual.

Elizabeth Glass-Turner said...

I honestly think the Wesleyan church must address its identity issue before it languishes. Right now it spreads from people who don't cut their hair, to people who are pushing to change membership requirements to include those who drink socially - from small, uber conservative churches to cutting-edge church plants. Who will hone the vision of the denomination? Frankly, in my opinion, the general superintendants have a platform that they don't, or won't use, to help outline the role of the denomination in our national and international scenes. They are, by and large, administrators, not vision-communicating inspirers. (Vote Lyons!)
It is a revivalistic notion to suggest that this needs to come from grassroots, but I'm willing to suggest that a renewed, revived hierarchy can also concentrate energy and vision, communicating core values.
I also think that holiness and revival have been hijacked from Arminian circles into Calvinistic worship movements like Passion. Instead of worship as a means of transformation, worship is an acknowledgement of sovereignty of God and depravity of humans.
I think revival also needs to be re-imagined and re-defined. How many teenagers do you know who've attended a revival? How many do you know who have been on a mission trip?

Anonymous said...

Great conversation. I need to check out the blogs of everyone in this comment thread and add links from my site to yours.

I think that we need to think much broader than our tiny holiness denominations.

How about dreaming and visioning about a missional holiness that could perhaps be the catalyst for revival not of our churches but of the entire Western world? The easiest way to renew a movement is to inject a massive influx of fresh blood into it. This would involve articulating a holiness message for the 21st century. This would be directed toward the lost rather than being an argument with the past.

Anonymous said...

i think the seeds for a 'new perspective on wesley' were planted by my professors at iwu who felt that the box they grew up in within the tradition prevented them from frolicking in the fields of 'warm heart' experiences. when teaching a membership classes for potential covenant members, i still go back to my outline of wesley's life to teach it in the narrative... now while most people probably don't care about wesley as much as i enjoy telling the story, it does impart upon people this idea that this man, when understood in his context, is someone that they can identify with, and discover that his theology cannot be separated from his life, and neither can ours.

Mike Cline said...

Chadwick,

I've found that many young adults, in and outside the Wesleyan traditions, are really attracted to the heart and thoughts of Wesley. I recently wrote on my blog that it was the person of Wesley that made me take the plunge and finally declare myself a "Wesleyan," despite my reservations. I think a recovery of Wesley's thought is a huge key in garnering support from younger evangelicals.

Anonymous said...

michael,

i can resonate with you personally on that one. my roots go into the roman catholic church and there was something about wesley's social involvement with, providing health care for the poor, for example that drew me into the church. then there is women's rights, slavery, child labor, etc...much to be proud of. i think there was a question about whether our tradition is to 'intellectual'...i wouldn't say that, but i would like to see some fears about being involved socially go away...our holiness isn't all that personal...there is a world to be transformed...and the world is ready for it...our message is about to crossing into some ripe fields culturally...