Tuesday, December 11, 2007

How the Hebrews Experiment Will Work...

If you have further curiosity about the experimental "open source" course on the book of Hebrews I'm teaching next semester here in online land (see the previous post below for details), here's the basic weekly template I'll use.

Workshop x

Assignment 1: Watch Schenck's videocast: Hebrews xx-xx

Assignment 2: Post a 500 word comparison of Schenck and the three commentaries on your public team blog in relation to topic x.

Note: You will choose three of the following commentaries to compare and contrast along with Schenck throughout the course:

Suggested Commentaries:
a. deSilva, David, Perseverance in Gratitude

b. Johnson, Luke Timothy, Hebrews

c. Koester, Craig, Hebrews

d. Lane, William, 2 vols., Hebrews 1-8 and Hebrews 9-13

e. Witherington III, Ben, Letters and Homilies for Jewish Christians

f. Attridge, Harold, The Epistle to the Hebrews

Assignment 3: Make at least 2 substantive responses to the posts on your public team blog and at least 2 substantive responses somewhere to the posts on the blogs of the other teams.

Assignment 4: Now go to your team's private "Application" blog and post a 300 word reflection on how the situation of Hebrews might inform our theology and/or practice today. You would end by suggesting a sermon or formation study you might use on the basis of the passage we were studying in Hebrews.

Assignment 5: Make at least 2 substantive responses to the posts on your private team blog and at least 2 substantive responses somewhere to the posts on the blogs of the other teams.

From time to time there will be miscellaneous assignments due as well, which will normally be uploaded to a private area of Google Docs for the team to read.

Interested?

4 comments:

Mike Cline said...

You are calling me out on this one, I can feel it. When will the course start and end (dates?). I'm sure I could get this class at Bethel next year, but do we have a prof that has done so much work in Hebrews as you have? Hmm...

I'll think on it.

How much Greek are we going to be looking at?

Ken Schenck said...

I wouldn't want to deprive you of a Bethel Hebrews class when you can read/watch most of my stuff for free. Get your prof to shoot at me/us.

I can't assume any Greek as a part of this on the part of students. I'll be using some, of course...

paul said...

Ken, this is a great idea. I will be one of your audit stalkers, as I don't need the credit, but would love to learn from you. (I'm one of your former Asbury students and have been reading your blog for some time now.) Thanks.

Mike Cline said...

Talked to the Kerns representative and they won't cover it, so I'll probably be following along on the free side of the class. My Hebrews class here will be slightly different because I'm doing the dual language track. All my bible classes are significantly in the original language. So, make sure you help me out and do lots of that that I can steal from. :)

It will be fun being in "class" again with you.