Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Paul 4.3

On the second Sabbath, Lydia, one of the women, believed on Jesus as the Messiah. She was not a Jew, but worshipped the one true God along with others who were Jews. Lydia was originally from the city of Thyatira and was wealthy, for she sold purple cloth, the material of kings.

Lydia had brought her whole family to the river that Sabbath, including her husband. They also believed on Christ and were baptized in the Gangites River, even her youngest child who was two. Once they were baptized, she invited Silas, Timothy, and I to stay in her home. And so we did.

Steadily the number of believers in the city grew. Epaphroditus and Clement, Euodia and Syntyche were some of the earliest. We immediately recognized in Epaphroditus and Clement individuals who might oversee the Christians at Philippi long after we had left. Lydia would also help as long as she was there, but as a trader she would not stay in the city forever. It was not long before the church was meeting in Epaphroditus' house.

2 comments:

Scott D. Hendricks said...

You might want to check your neighborhood friendly English grammar on this, but I have noticed more than one instance where you have used "I" as a direct object in a sentence when "me" should have been used.

". . . she invited Silas, Timothy and me to stay in her home."

But, as always, I could be mistaken.

Ken Schenck said...

Nope--you're right. I whip these things off in the fly and change them when I notice... the objective case...