Wednesday, August 16, 2006

LuLu Publishing

As usual, there are untold benefits to having your office next to Keith Drury. He put a bug in my ear the other day about LuLu Publishing, the future of publishing and the nemesis of the traditional publishing guild. Some of you may know that I have an old manuscript lying around that has never been published, Who Decides What the Bible Means? I logged on to LuLu publishing and within twenty minutes had it published, cover and all!

I unpublished it, made a few modifications, and then republished it the next morning. My perfect bound copy arrived by UPS today. I need to adjust the font and take care of a few details, so I have it so only I can buy copies right now. But when I'm happy with it, I can put it on Amazon and whooptie doo.

I have seen the future and it is me (because now any whacko can get published for the cost of paper, shipping, and handling...)

6 comments:

R. Mansfield said...

Dr. Schenck, do you have a link to LuLu Publishing?

R. Mansfield said...

Nevermind! I should have looked first--LuLu.com

Mike Cline said...

About how much did it cost you to print, publish, and ship?

Ken Schenck said...

The cost to print I think was a little less than 5 dollars for about 130 pages. They killed me on the tax and shipping, which brought it to about 17 dollars. But that was only for a single book. They have a whole cost scale on their website.

Mike Cline said...

so grassroots mass publishing isn't going to happen anytime soon. I had instant dreams of selling books out of the back of my car, but I think 17 bucks a book is a little steep. haha

Anonymous said...

I print my books here:
http://instantpublisher.com

It really depends on your business model which is more cost effective. Getting an ISBN costs more, of course.

I printed 100 copies of my 50 pg poem for under $1.80/book.