Friday, April 14, 2006

Reflections on Good Friday

In my mind, the arrest and death of Jesus must have been very shocking to the disciples. I believe Peter was ready to die for Jesus to live. He just wasn't ready to live for Jesus to die.

Paul calls the message of the cross foolishness to those who are perishing. And indeed it is ludicrous. The Messiah, exposed to public disgrace on a cross, cursed by hanging on a tree? How is this victory?

Tony Campolo made famous his line, "It's Friday, but Sunday's a comin'." But today, it's Friday. It is worthwhile to remember that not all the biblical texts focus on the resurrection. True, Acts does. 1 Corinthians 15 does. Matthew and John do.

But Mark presented the story with the climax at the cross. The climax of Mark's gospel is when the centurion sees how Jesus died and proclaims, "Wow, this guy must have been the Son of God!" It is the first time in the gospel of Mark that a human being has connected Jesus' identity with his suffering.

Peter didn't. After he was the first human to recognize Jesus as the Messiah, he then corrects Jesus for suggesting he is going to die. "Get behind me, Satan." It is ironically not even a Jew in Mark who first proclaims this truth, but a Roman soldier, a type of Gentiles like me who come to Christ.

So the bold message of Mark is that Jesus is Messiah--not despite the fact that he dies on a cross--but indeed, the cross reveals that he is Messiah. For the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.

I picture the disciples scratching their heads to make sense of Jesus' death. Is he, like the Maccabean martyrs, a propitiation and satisfaction of God's wrath toward Israel? Again, God had bigger plans. Not just Israel, but the sins of the whole world, of whosoever believes in him.

Hebrews gives us the final word on the cross: "with one sacrifice Christ has forever perfected those who are being sanctified." Despite our affirmation of Wesleyan theology, let's not miss the point of Hebrews. The blood of Christ cleanses our sins; it deletes them from the registry of our conscience, making it "whole." His blood enables us to join that company of the spirits of those in the heavenly Jerusalem. And where there is forgiveness of sins, there is no more need for sacrifices.

8 comments:

Jon Earls said...

I appreciate you commenting on my blog. I suppose you could call me strict - although there are many who would call me liberal :-) ...so I'm not sure where I am. I guess I'm middle of the road where I occasionally get ran over by both sides :-)

I am certainly opposed to being schismatic and as I acknowledged on Drury's blog, there have been those from more of my persuasion who have been guilty of emphasizing standards without the relationship with God to back it up. I've experienced my fair share of Phariseesm (I'm sure I didn't spell that right :) and can't stand it. But I'm not going to just throw everything out because of this.

There are those who could be categorized as being on the left and right of me who I have absolute confidence in - despite their views. I am not dogmatic, but I do want to be Biblical and holy as He is.

I think it is important for those on both sides of this debate to show love and understanding for one another. I do not agree with where the Wesleyan church has gone as a whole, but at the same time I have confidence in many, many Wesleyans.

The fact of the matter is that everyone is not always going to see eye to eye and we have to be bigger than our differences and show love and understanding to one another. Here's a novel thought, let's show the love of Christ that we claim to be full of! :-)

By the way, I've heard from some friends who attend your classes that you're a great teacher. I also enjoy your café tutor. I've been trying to brush up on my Greek (perhaps I should say I'm trying to learn Greek :)

Some time in the future I hope to get my Master's degree. I'm considering IWU. Perhaps one of these days I may sit in one of your classes. It would be an honor for me. I read your blog regularly and have linked to it from mine.

God Bless!

S.I. said...

Have you ever wondered how the cross actually became the point of sin-forgiveness? I have sometimes pondered it--I see the connection between it and the initial proclamation in to OT that the shedding of blood being the only way to forgive sins. I don't think I'm explaining my confusion rightly:-) Did God say, "hey, I'm going to use this event as the way to forgive the sins of the world" (as if you overheard it?:-)

Perhaps I'm thinking too hard.

S.I. said...

This question is presented aside from the fact that Jesus said His death would make the way for us to be reunited to God, and OT prophecies.

Ken Schenck said...

Thanks Jon, I noticed that even from where he stands Drury's been getting it from both sides too. He seems confident enough in who he is to handle it :-) ... and I imagine you probably are too.

Stephanie Joy (Ha), I'd like to think that when Hebrews says that Christ's death was "in consummation of the ages" that God wasn't improvising ;-) I think He had it planned (knowing that Adam would sin).

Heather Cooper said...

Darn it Schenck! I just preached on Mark 15 this past Sunday and your short Markan commentary would have been mucho helpful. Unfortunately I can't ex eventu my sermon so I'll just have to take note of that info for future use. Blog faster man... blog faster! :)

Ken Schenck said...

I stole it all from Rhoads and Michie ;-) I think I owe you a visit to your blog, don't I?

S.I. said...

Dangit, Schenck! Just because...

Keith Drury said...

Thanks Ken for those uplifting and inspiring words on this holy day!