Monday, August 15, 2005

Who Am I?

They say that perception is reality. If that is really true, then I really need the people who perceive me to tell me who I am.

But here are some thoughts I had recently. You know, it was in one of those imaginary conversations I have in the car with someone I think hates me.

Here's what I told one of those imaginary people today in my drive home from work:

1. To me as an individual, it's really all about what is true. If I'm wrong, then I want you to show me. Really, please, devastate my position. My ego will be glad to take the bruises.

But as an individual, I am not easily convinced on some things. It's not enough to show me that the consequences of a belief are serious. You need to show me that a belief itself is likely to be true or untrue.

2. To those outside of me, it's all about faith. I am far less interested in you dotting your i's and crossing your t's than for you to have faith.

3. I think these are God's priorities too. On the one hand, I don't think God is a trickster. I think most of the time x probably marks the spot. Usually the evidence points to the right verdict (filtered of course, through our paradigms and worldviews).

Of course I also realize that sometimes the evidence in one sphere pushes us to think something true that involves other spheres where the evidence is far less conclusive.

But I also think that faith rather than truth is God's number one priority. He is more interested in saving your soul than fixing your mind.

Beyond this, I don't like labels. Am I conservative or liberal, this or that? I'm sure it depends on who you are comparing me with. I have a conservative spirit in the sense that I like the past and I like tradition--I'm not quick to disagree with it. But I will in my heart of heart, if it doesn't seem to be true.

But to me I'm just Ken. I'm just trying to make my way through this world and to understand what is true about it. Feel free to disagree.

No comments: