Thursday, April 07, 2005

Popes and Delegations

Tomorrow is the funeral of Pope John Paul II. By all accounts he was a very godly man indeed. I might not agree with his thinking on every subject. Nevertheless, truth is not the same as godliness. I strongly suspect he was as sanctified as any Wesleyan who has ever lived.

I'm half upset/half really sad that Jimmy Carter was not in the delegation that went. True enough, in the end it was Carter's decision not to go--a reflection of the virtue of the man. Many would say a sign of his godliness--"in honor preferring one another." He bowed out so that others could go. I say this as someone who doesn't necessarily think Carter was the best president from a practical standpoint. But I think he was probably more Christlike than any of the presidents who have lived in my lifetime.

But whose heart was closer to that of the Pope's than Carter's in the delegation than went? President Bush? Not a chance. The Pope spoke out publically against the invasion of Iraq. Perhaps the Pope was wrong, but clearly he and Carter were more of the same heart on that issue--that violence breeds violence. Again, I don't always agree with this dictum, but clearly the Pope and Carter were in greater agreement.

But I'm glad President Bush went--he should have. Frankly, I'm glad they even invited him.

Condoleeza Rice? I suppose as Secretary of State that's a fair thing. Who should represent the United States in a foreign policy situation? That makes sense. A year ago it would have been Colin Powell. Okay, maybe she is a pick over Carter.

But Clinton? Bush Sr.? They are ex-presidents, so I'm okay with that. Did either of them deserve to go more than Carter. No, I don't agree there. Of course you could argue that Carter was only President for a couple years of the Pope's office. Reagan is the one who had the most dealings with him. But Carter had his heart.

Mrs. Bush? Well that's interesting. Power has its privileges. But Mrs. Bush versus Pres. Carter? I have serious problems with that. It seems really selfish to me, almost shameful. It's all about privilege rather than honor. Maybe I don't know the protocall. Maybe most dignitaries took their wives.

Would someone tell me who said it could only be five? Was it the Vatican? If it was Bush, then I'm very upset at him over this. But even if it wasn't, I feel very sad. This is not the collection of people John Paul would have chosen or wanted to honor him.

No comments: