Friday, January 14, 2005

Bush's "Bring It On"

Now that the election is over, Bush is more willing to talk about his miscalculations. Frankly, I can't blame him too much for not talking about them before the election. I mean, I don't expect him to be stupid. He clearly made the right political move in staying on message and not admitting to mistakes.

But his recent comments are so "old news" to me and anticlimactic that why is he even talking about it? Isn't this exactly what I and so many others have been saying forever now?

Here is an excerpt from AOL news on Bush's recent comments:

"On July 2, 2003, two months after he had declared an end to major combat in Iraq, Bush promised U.S. forces would stay until the creation of a free government there. To those who would attack U.S. forces in an attempt to deter that mission, Bush said, 'My answer is, Bring 'em on.'

"Sometimes, words have consequences you don't intend them to mean," Bush said Thursday. "'Bring 'em on' is the classic example, when I was really trying to rally the troops and make it clear to them that I fully understood, you know, what a great job they were doing. And those words had an unintended consequence. It kind of, some interpreted it to be defiance in the face of danger. That certainly wasn't the case."

What was that all about?

I and and so many others have been saying forever now that the War on Iraq far from slowing down terrorism has simply "brought it on" with such force that we are in a much more precarious world-wide terrorist situation than before 9-11. Bush wasn't admitting this much, admittedly. He was just reving up the troops. I mean, he had no idea that we might actually face some serious opposition. At least that's not what Wolfowitz was telling him... :)

I don't want to hear feeble admissions. Just don't make any more colossal blunders and get us out of this mess.

No comments: